Best Shows of 2009
Including festivals, I think that I saw 21 shows this year. Here’s the list of my top 9 (from good, to better, to best):
9. Billy Bragg at the Great American Music Hall – This is a bit of a Fleet Week tradition, Bragg with a good dose of political humor interspersed between songs.
8. Suburban Kids with Biblical Names at the Rickshaw stop – They are the happy version of the Magnetic Fields, and they headlined Swedish music night.
7. Miike Snow at the Bottom of the Hill – Dance Party!!!
6. Pet Shop Boys at the Warfield – They still have it. Of all the 80s acts releasing new music, this is one of the few, where I plan to pick up the new album.
5. Depeche Mode at the Hollywood Bowl – This was the roadtrip show of the year. Very happy that cancer did not force them to cancel, as they did for their Shoreline and San Diego shows.
3. Sondre Lerche at the Great American Music Hall– His sweetness, humor, and my crush did not hurt his ranking.
2. Kylie Minogue at the Fox – Yes, this show was 100x gayer than the Pet Shop Boys, and it was the launch of her first North American tour. Arena performance, in a small venue.
1. Phoenix at the Warfield FTW, best show and best album of 2009
Worst show of 2009 goes to Morrissey at the Paramount. Never have a seen both the singer and the audience so simultaneously bored. I love the Smiths, but I wish that I had skipped this show.