Sorry, but you cannot leave high school
After seeing Morrissey at the Fillmo’ tonight, I have now seen 9 of the 10 bands that I loved the most as a student at SF’s premiere academic high school:
- Morrissey (old and sweaty, but still rocking)
- Portishead at the 9:30 Club (and Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man at the Warfield)
- Orbital, also, at the 9:30 Club
- Erasure in full Intel Pentium Mode at Shoreline
- The Cure at Shoreline
- Blur at Shoreline (yes, I know that the Shoreline is a crappy ass venue, but when you are 16, it’s all you have)
- New Order at the Shoreline and at the Kaiser Auditorium
- The Smashing Pumpkins in Golden Gate Park for the Tibetan Freedom Concert (my high school grad present)
- Joao Gilberto (solo) at the Masonic Auditorium
So, what band my high school playlist do I still need to see?
The Pet Shop Boys!